LIFE AT THE COTTAGE

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tips and Tricks Tuesday #11 - How to Clean Glass


BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE DETAILS FOR ALL THREE NEW LINKY PARTIES HERE AT THE COTTAGE!


Welcome to the eleventh Tips & Tricks Tuesday linky party here at the Brambleberry Cottage.

Well, it's that time of week again when we get to share all our wonderful tips and tricks with the rest of the blogosphere.


Karly @ Jellybean Junkyard gave us a great tutorial for this Cinderella transformation.  Could that be part of Cindy's coach we see?


Know what the "F" stands for in this lovely wreath by Andrea @ Willow Wisp Cottage

I know.  It stands for FABULOUSthe perfect description for the wreath and her hubby for making the letter!


I remember making pom-poms when I was a youth...waaay back when.  ; )

Zeshuregi @ Creative Mind shared a tutorial to simplify this age-old craft. 

Thanks, Zeshuregi!


Ever get stumped on what to do to make "date night" with hubby less run-of-the-mill?

Then go check out the inventive idea from Krista @ While He Was Napping.

And now it's time for another Brambleberry Cottage tip.


The Yankee and I have been busy bringing this terrific vintage cabinet back to life.

I wish I had remembered to take a picture of what it looked like when we pulled it out of the old barn we discovered it in.

To say that its charm was buried beneath layers of accumulated dirt and grime would be a gross understatement!

But that's altogether a different story.

The real trick, I want to share with you now, has to do with the state of the glass panes.

Nice, huh?

Would you believe that's what they looked like after the old faithful bottle of Windex came into play?!

It's true.

So what does one do when glass cleaner doesn't clean glass?

Simple!  Use steel wool.



Yep; that's what I said. 

But not just any grade of steel wool, mind you.

Specifically, use #0000or 4/0steel wool.  It's the finest grade and won't scratch the glass.

And, believe it or not, it will actually polish to highly reflective sheen.


N-i-c-e!

7 comments:

  1. Ooooohhhhh! Nice! Thanks for the tip! I never knew that realy fine steel wood could do that!

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for featuring my pom-pom tutorial link..you are always welcome on my blog.I will feel nice to receive your suggestions,..I love to have you,my sweet follower...take care
    Zeshuregi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't even going to read how to clean glass...I mean come on....what a surprise that was...I recently got a bunch of old windows with lots of overspray etc. I always use vinegar ane water, and never found anything to work better. So I was disappointed to see that the windows were still real dull. Now I know what to do and even have the steel wool in the garage. Thanks, for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness I love the cabinet you guys are working on! Fabulous!
    Hugs,
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cabinet is sooooo great! I want it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did not know that! I am writing that down. Thanks, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tip on the steel wool and cleaning old windows.
    I have several that have alike a film on them. Don't really care if they 'shine' but would like to be able to see through them more, or at least not have the 'dingy' stuff take away from the cool of them.

    blessings

    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to comment.